- Truck App software application makes hooking up a trailer and going off-road easy and safe
- Menu items featured on a 4×2-inch screen
- System is exclusive to Ford trucks
DEARBORN, Mich., March 10, 2011 An all-new Truck App in Ford F-Series features an industry-first in truck technology a software application for safe and easy towing and off-roading.
With more than 50 percent of F-Series owners regularly towing a trailer, Ford developed the first application to walk drivers through the proper trailer connection process, among many other features.
The Truck App is available on F-Series class-exclusive LCD instrument cluster screen, a beefier version of the driver information display where traditional stats on fuel economy, vehicle settings and trip tracking also live.
The 4.2-inch LCD productivity screen presents detailed information in an engaging, easy-to-use manner so customers get the most out of their Ford trucks for work and for play, said Joseph Fodera, cluster applications engineer.
A checklist asks drivers a set of questions to help ensure the trailer is connected properly:
- Ball coupler connected and locked?
- Tongue jack raised?
- Mirrors adjusted?
- Electrical wiring connected?
- Lights functioning correctly (running lights, left/right turn and brake lights)?
- Trailer Brake Controller gain setting adjusted?
- Wheel chocks removed?
- Safety chains connected?
For those who own multiple trailers, Truck App allows drivers to name each trailer and collect and store accumulated mileage for each for up to 10 different trailers, displaying helpful information such as accumulated miles for a particular unit, trailer brake gain (with available integrated brake controller) and output.
The Truck App also caters to the off-road enthusiast with unique information screens such as pitch-and-roll, which shows the angle of surface incline, the degree of tilt and steering angle.
The app on the F-150 SVT Raptor includes a specific screen that shows the status of Hill Descent Control, off-road mode and the 4×4 system.
In addition to the Truck App software application, the more traditional screen menus include:
- Gauge mode includes real-time transmission oil temperature
- Trip A/B includes trip time and mileage information and tracks two trips
- Fuel economy tracks fuel consumption history and offers selectable displays for efficiency in miles to empty, average and instantaneous
- Settings allows the customer to turn features on or off, change autolamp time, set trailer brake setting and monitor oil life
- Information provides management of the MyKey feature, a system check screen and key system warnings for trailer sway control, Hill Descent Control and Tire Pressure Monitoring System
The F-150 productivity screen is standard on all FX2/FX4, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum models. It is also available on XLT as part of the XLT Convenience Package.
Click here for a video that illustrates the features of the new Truck Apps for F-Series.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 164,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the companys automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Fords products, please visit www.ford.com.