2014 Buick LaCrosse Earns Five-Star NHTSA Safety Score
Refreshed full-size sedan achieves top overall mark in stringent crash tests
DETROIT (Tuesday, November 17, 2013)– The 2014 Buick LaCrosse has received the highest possible 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score for safety as part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s New Car Assessment Program.
“Safety is one of the pillars of the Buick brand and our flagship continues to echo this essential element to our customers,” said Jeff Yanssens, chief engineer of the LaCrosse. “Not only do we offer advanced safety technologies in the 2014 LaCrosse, but we designed and engineered the core of the car to perform well with respect to crash safety.”
Employing many advanced technologies – including the use of camera and radar – to help avoid crashes, the refreshed full-size sedan offers one of the most comprehensive collections of standard and available safety features in the segment. Helping the driver identify potential crash situations, visual, and audible or where available, seat vibration alerts are initially used by these systems. If a crash threat appears imminent, some systems can even intervene and apply the brakes.
The available safety and convenience features include:
- Safety Alert Seat – A patented General Motors’ technology, the driver’s seat works with many of the advanced safety features, providing seat vibration pulses indicating the direction of a potential crash threat.
- Automatic Collision Preparation – Radar technology detects a possible crash threat and alerts the driver. If the system detects that the driver does not apply the brakes, this feature intervenes to automatically trigger the brakes in an effort to reduce crash damage.
- Forward Collision Alert – If the camera technology detects a possible crash threat, the system will send an alert.
- Full-speed-range Adaptive Cruise Control – Radar technology senses traffic in front of the LaCrosse to adjust vehicle speed, including bringing the vehicle to a complete stop and accelerating again upon driver request.
- Lane Departure Warning – A camera-based lane detection system can warn the driver of unsignaled lane changes. The camera, mounted near the inside rearview mirror, identifies lane markings, and provides alerts.
- Lane Change Alert – Under most driving conditions, the system helps to inform the driver of fast-approaching vehicles in the next lane that are up to 230 feet (70 meters) behind the car. The LaCrosse is one of the first vehicles to offer this technology.
- Side Blind Zone Alert – Using radar sensors on both sides of the vehicle, the system scans for other vehicles in the blind zone areas of the LaCrosse and under most driving conditions, indicates their presence with light-emitting diode, or LED-lit symbols in the outside mirrors.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert – Based on the radar sensors of side blind zone alert, it can warn the driver of vehicles in traffic when backing out of a parking spot – including angled parking. Visual, and audible or available seat vibration alerts are triggered if moving vehicles are detected.
- Rear Vision Camera – In reverse, the camera provides a view of the area behind the LaCrosse, shown on the display in the centre stack infotainment system.
Eight standard air bags complement the advanced, crash-avoidance technologies of the LaCrosse. These include rear-seat thorax air bags designed to protect the upper torso.
Enabling greater vehicle control, the LaCrosse also features StabiliTrak electronic stability control, all-speed traction control, and four-wheel disc brakes with Intelligent Brake Assist on the four-channel antilock brake system.
The safety and security of OnStar, which links to existing emergency service providers, is standard for six months. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar service also offers IntelliLink mobile apps, which provide vehicle information and OnStar services via the customer’s compatible smartphone. Visit Onstar.ca for details and system limitations.
About Buick in Canada
Buick is a modern luxury brand offering vehicles with sculpted designs, luxurious interiors with thoughtful personal technologies, along with responsive-yet-efficient performance. Buick’s portfolio of award-winning models includes the Enclave crossover, LaCrosse sedan, Regal sport sedan, Buick Verano sedan and the all-new Encore crossover. More information on Buick cars and crossovers at www.buick.ca, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/buickcanada or by following @BuickCanada on Twitter.
# # #