New Affordable Turbo Model with Aggressive Design adds more appeal to Innovative Sport Coupe
COSTA MESA, Calif., June 6, 2012 – Hyundai Motor America has announced pricing for the 2013MY Hyundai Veloster and Veloster Turbo, with a new 1.6-liter, 201 horsepower, direct-injected twin-scroll turbocharged engine, aggressive bodykit and other unique features. Veloster Turbo’s starting price of $21,950 includes the high-output turbo powertrain, unique body kit, front heated leather sport seats, tuned exhaust, sport-tuned steering, unique 18-inch alloy wheels, LED headlight accents and taillights, and a variety of turbo model interior design elements.
The 1.6-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine in the Veloster Turbo produces an impressive 201 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 195 lb-ft of torque at 1,750 rpm with regular fuel. Veloster Turbo also delivers a best-in-class power-to-weight ratio and its engine offers best-in-class specific output. Hyundai’s 1.6-liter Gamma turbocharged engine features a twin-scroll turbocharger that, when combined with direct injection, results in near-instantaneous power delivery and minimal turbo lag. Twin-scroll turbochargers have traditionally been used on more expensive high performance engines, but Hyundai has brought this technology into much more affordable models like Veloster. Veloster Turbo is estimated to deliver 26 mpg city and a best-in-class 38 mpg highway for manual transmission models.
From a bigger, bolder hexagonal front grille, sculpted side skirts and new rear bumper with prominent diffuser vents in the lower fascia, Veloster Turbo design differentiates itself with aggressive design cues relative to the base model. Enthusiasts will also notice the Veloster Turbo will be available in a Hyundai-first Matte Gray paint. In addition, a set of 18-inch alloy wheels with chrome inserts completes the Veloster Turbo’s appearance. From the front, Veloster Turbo also reveals headlight LED accents. Hyundai designers have replaced the Veloster’s trapezoidal center exhaust with two large round exhaust tips. This free-flowing exhaust design gives the engine a more robust sound, which will delight enthusiasts.
Inside, leather seats with Turbo-embroidered stitching in the seatbacks deliver a sporty appearance and provide both exceptional support and comfort. A turbo-exclusive electroluminescent gauge cluster offers the driver information in a larger, clearer and more interactive format, with two TFT screens located between the tachometer and the speedometer. Even more, heated front sport seats are also standard on the Turbo version. Veloster Turbo also incorporates race-inspired push-button start and alloy pedals as standard equipment.
2013 TURBO MODEL EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS
- New 1.6-liter turbocharged, direct-injected engine
- In-house developed six-speed automatic or manual transmissions
- Horsepower: 201 at 6,000 RPM
- Best-in-class highway fuel economy estimated at 38 mpg (M/T)
- Best-in-class specific output at 125.6 horsepower per liter
- Best-in-class weight to power ratio of 14 lbs/hp
- Sport-tuned intake and exhaust note
- Sport-tuned steering
- Unique front fascia, fog lights and ground effects
- Hyundai-first Matte Gray paint and Elite White Pearl for Turbo models
- Unique 18-inch alloy wheels with chrome inserts
- Projection headlights with unique LED headlight accents
- Side mirrors with turn signal indicators
- Unique LED taillights
- Electroluminescent gauge cluster
- Leather seating surfaces with driver’s lumbar support
- Heated front sport seats
- Turbo-exclusive standard Graphite Black interior w/Blue Accents
- Turbo headliner graphics
2013 VELOSTER PRICING
Freight Charges for the 2013MY Veloster are $775.